Welcome from the Chair
Welcome to the Department of Materials Science and Engineering within the School of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Pennsylvania! As Penn is one of the top ten universities in the nation, this department is recognized for the quality of its educational program and the research activities of our world-renowned faculty, students and postdocs. The interests of our faculty are diverse and include cutting-edge programs in energy, electronic and optical devices, soft matter and computational materials science.
Our academic program provides the highest quality education in the fundamentals and applications of technologically-relevant materials in a vibrant school of engineering and science setting. Students are encouraged to tailor their education and research to their own specialized interests. Multidisciplinary materials institutes and centers at Penn are closely linked our department:
- Center for Analyzing Evolved Structures as Optimized Products: Science and Engineering for the Human Habitat (AESOP)
- Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter (LRSM)
- Penn Institute for Computational Science (PICS)
- Research and Education in Active Coatings Technologies for the Human Habitat (REACT)
- Science and Technology Center for Engineering Mechano-Biology
- Singh Center for Nanotechnology
This website provides an overview of our undergraduate and graduate programs, the research interests and achievements of our faculty and students. We send an email newsletter filled with exciting departmental news three times annually. To subscribe to our newsletter, click here.
We welcome you to contact us for more information, or if you’re in the Philadelphia area, please stop by and visit!
Karen I. Winey
TowerBrook Foundation Faculty Fellow, Professor and Chair, Department of Materials Science and Engineering